Do you have partition issues? Then try this week’s GSotW to fix your hard drive!
Partition Manager 2014 Free Edition
“Partitioning is not for amateurs. That is why millions of people have trusted our safe, stable technology and professional software solutions for over 19 years. Our latest 2014 version easily organizes your hard drive and redistributes free space to enhance system performance.
Secure performance of critical operations:
Easily resize and move partitions through the smart and safe Resize Wizard
Organize and optimize your hard drive with Create, Format and Delete Wizards
Latest hardware and software support
Proven expertise in partitioning technology:
Paragon Hot Resize™ technology to enlarge partitions without rebooting Windows
Paragon Smart Partition ™ technology to securely perform partitioning operations
Paragon Power Shield™ technology to provide data consistency.
Easy execution of key scenarios:
Organize your hard drive and gain additional space in your existing partitions
Simplify the backup process by separating your data from your operating system
You can install several operating systems on separate drive partitions”
Scan your network, find hidden shared folders, mount and explore network resources! This is link a Swiss Army knife for you network!
SoftPerfect Network Scanner
“SoftPerfect Network Scanner is a free multi-threaded IP, NetBIOS and SNMP scanner with a modern interface and many advanced features. It is intended for both system administrators and general users interested in computer security. The program pings computers, scans for listening TCP/UDP ports and displays which types of resources are shared on the network, including system and hidden ones.
In addition, it can mount shared folders as network drives, browse them using Windows Explorer, filter the results list, and more. SoftPerfect Network Scanner can also check for a user-defined port, and report back if one is open. It can also resolve host names and auto-detect the local and external IP range. It supports remote shutdown and Wake-On-LAN.
- Pings computers and displays those alive.
- Detects hardware MAC-addresses, even across routers.
- Detects hidden shared folders and writable ones.
- Detects your internal and external IP addresses.
- Scans for listening TCP ports, some UDP and SNMP services.
- Retrieves currently logged-on users, configured user accounts, uptime, etc.
- Mounts and explores network resources.
- Launches external third party applications.
- Exports results to HTML, XML, CSV and TXT.
- Supports Wake-On-LAN, remote shutdown and sending network messages.
- Retrieves any system information via WMI.
- Retrieves information from remote registry, file system and service manager.
- Absolutely free, requires no installation, and does not contain any adware, spyware or malware”.
To go along with our security theme this week, we are going with Nirsoft WifiChannelMonitor as our GSotW! Now, you can check for WiFi in YOUR area! (Be nice!)
“WifiChannelMonitor is a utility for Windows that captures wifi traffic on the channel you choose, using Microsoft Network Monitor capture driver in monitor mode, and displays extensive information about access points and the wifi clients connected to them. WifiChannelMonitor also allows you to view the information about wifi clients that are not connected to any access points, including the list of SSIDs (network names) that they are trying to connect.
For every client, the following information is displayed: MAC Address, Device Manufacturer, SSID list that the client tries to connect, Sent Data Bytes, Received Data Bytes, Probe Requests Count, and more…”
Have you ever had a process that stops occasionally on your system, and you have to restart it? Well, now you can restart it automatically!
“Restarter is an application that automatically monitor and restarts crashed or hung programs and applications. It was originally developed to monitor and restart game servers, but it will do the job for any console or form based program or application, For example; IRC clients or servers, FTP servers, mail servers, etc. Restarter will help to ensure that your critical programs are always up and running. If your application crashes or if someone accidentally shuts it down, the Restarter will automatically restart the program with all the parameters that you have specified. Restarter also has the option to log, raise alarms and execute scripts on critical events.
- Monitors a specified Process existence
- Restarts and/or logs when the process fails, crashes or is accidentally shut down
- Automatically kills the monitored process if it is unresponsive or hung
- Option to execute external scripts if the process fails. Sample scripts includes Send e-mail, Restart Computer
- Option to play a selectable sound when process fails.
- Option to restart the process window Maximized, Minimized or Normal
- Option to force focus on the restarted process window
- Option to start your application from a shortcut and automatically have it monitored with Restarter
- Portable application – No registry settings & all program files in one single directory, making it suitable to run directly from a memory stick”
Another neat Nirsoft goodie for you! Find those locked files on your system!
“OpenedFilesView displays the list of all opened files on your system. For each opened file, additional information is displayed: handle value, read/write/delete access, file position, the process that opened the file, and more…
Optionally, you can also close one or more opened files, or close the process that opened these files.
This utility is especially useful if you try to delete/move/open a file and you get one of the following error messages:
- Cannot delete [filename]: There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use.
- Cannot delete [filename]: It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.
When you get one of these error messages, OpenedFilesView will show you which process lock your file. Closing the right process will solve this problem. optionally, you can also release the file by closing the handle from OpenedFilesView utility. However, be aware that after closing a file in this way, the program that opened the file may become unstable, and even crash.”
Want to know what is starting when your system boots! You need WhatInStartup from Nirsoft… and it is FREE!
“This utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows starts up. For each application, the following information is displayed: Startup Type (Registry/Startup Folder), Command-Line String, Product Name, File Version, Company Name, Location in the Registry or file system, and more.
It allows you to easily disable or delete unwanted programs that run in your Windows startup. You can use it on your currently running instance of Windows, as well as you can use it on external instance of Windows in another drive.
WhatInStartup also supports a special “Permanent Disabling” feature – If a program that you previously disabled added itself again to the startup list of Windows, WhatInStartup will automatically detect the change and disable it again.”
Have you ever wanted to “reveal” the passwords that you used, and stored, in your Web Browser? Well, now you can!
“WebBrowserPassView is a password recovery tool that reveals the passwords stored by the following Web browsers: Internet Explorer (Version 4.0 – 10.0), Mozilla Firefox (All Versions), Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera. This tool can be used to recover your lost/forgotten password of any Website, including popular Web sites, like Facebook, Yahoo, Google, and GMail, as long as the password is stored by your Web Browser.
After retrieving your lost passwords, you can save them into text/html/csv/xml file, by using the ‘Save Selected Items’ option (Ctrl+S).
False Virus/Trojan Warning
WebBrowserPassView is a tool that retrieves secret passwords stored in your system, and thus your Antivirus may falsely detect this tool is infected with Trojan/Virus.”
Check out Picasa! I downloaded it for it’s “red eye remover” tool. It worked perfectly! I needed it to remove “red eye” from some wedding photos I shot for my nephew. Picasa is free, and was just what I was looking for!
Picasa Web Site
What Wikipedia says about Picasa: “Picasa is an image organizer and image viewer for organizing and editing digital photos, plus an integrated photo-sharing website, originally created by a company named Lifescape (which at that time may have resided at Idealab) in 2002 and owned by Google since 2004. ‘Picasa’ is a blend of the name of Spanish painter Pablo Picasso, the phrase mi casa (Spanish for ‘my house’) and ‘pic’ for pictures (personalized art). In July 2004, Google acquired Picasa from its original author and began offering it as freeware.
Native applications for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Mac OS X (Intel only) are available from Google. For Linux, Google has bundled Wine with the Windows version to create an installation package rather than write a native Linux version, but this version is severely out of date (the latest Windows version, however, can be run with Wine; see the Linux section). There is also an iPhoto plugin or a standalone program for uploading photos available for Mac OS X 10.4 and later.”
Windows search got you down? Can’t find that file that you KNOW is there? Use “Everything!”
- Small installation file
- Clean and simple user interface
- Quick file indexing
- Quick searching
- Minimal resource usage
- Share files with others easily
- Real-time updating
“Everything” is an administrative tool that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows.
Unlike Windows search “Everything” initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name “Everything”).
You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.
“Everything” only uses file and folder names and generally takes a few seconds to build its database.
A fresh install of Windows XP SP2 (about 20,000 files) will take about 1 second to index.
1,000,000 files will take about 1 minute.
“Everything” does not search file contents, only file and folder names.
The World Fastest & Lightest PC Cleaner. Don’t make Malware, Adware, Pushy software change your browser settings.
YAC (Yet Another Cleaner!)
YAC’S BROWSER TRACKING PROTECTION
‘YAC’s Browser Tracking Protection Is Currently Available for Large Daily Users to Stay in Control of Their Privacy As They Browse the Web.’
- Discover All of the Trackers and Provide Complete Transparency & Control
- Clear Browser History to Protect Your Privacy and Block All the Malicious Plug-Ins
- Enable to Block Tracking Activity That You Do Not Trust and Allow the Ones That You Do
‘YAC’s Boosting Ball is a registry cleaner and PC speed optimizer.This product is a must have for PC users!’
- Remove Junk Files and Update Your PC’s Drivers
- Prevent Crashes & Freezes and Keep Your PC Fast & Stable
- A Free Tool That Detects Errors Which Impact Your PC’s Performance
ONE-CLICK YAC’S MALWARE CLEANER
‘YAC’s Malware Cleaner is to Secure Your PC Against Viruses and Offer Users Premium Protection from Internet Threats.’
- Detect and Remove Specific Malware from Your PC
- Kill All Infected Running Processes & Delete All Infections from the Disk
- A Handy and Efficient Malware Removal Tool for Windows Users”